Goa based advocate demands ban on Facebook pages of IRF, Zakir Naik

Panaji: A Goa based advocate on Monday sought for an immediate ban on the controversial Islamic preacher Dr Zakir Naik and his organisation Islamic Research Foundation (IRF).

Advocate Nagesh. C Takbhate has filed a complaint with the Goa Police to register offense against active members, followers and fans of the IRF.

Goa based advocate demands ban on Facebook pages of IRF, Zakir Naik

“Furthermore, the Home Ministry had evidence that Naik has been encouraging and aiding its followers to promote disharmony between different religious communities and groups,” Takbhate said in his complaint.

“The central government has received information that the statements and speeches made by Naik are objectionable and subversive in nature as he is proclaiming that every Muslim should be a terrorist and claiming that if Islam had wanted 80% of Indian population would have remained Hindus as they could have been converted ‘if we wanted’ by sword, justifying the suicide bombings, posting objectionable against Hindu Gods, claiming that Golden Temple may not be as sacred as Mecca and Medina.”

“Thus, the Facebook page of Islamic Research Foundation(IRF) and its founder Dr Zakir Naik should be blocked immediately and offense must be registered against Dr Zakir Naik and its active members, followers, fans of the organisation,” he added.

Earlier in November 2016, the government banned IRF, claiming it as an ‘unlawful organisation’ for five years.

The ban was enforced under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act ( UAPA) and approved at a meeting of the Union Cabinet.

High Court Mutes EVM (Vote Machine) Criticism… Not Even On Twitter Or Facebook

NEW DELHI: Coming to the defence of the Election Commission that has been the target of attacks from political parties over its voting machines, the Uttarakhand High Court on Friday barred political parties and others from criticising the use of these machines, or EVMs, in the five state assembly elections till pending election petitions are decided.

A systematic campaign has been unleashed against the EC, a constitutional body, a two-judge bench of the high court said. It ruled that the foundation of democracy would be weakened in case this tendency to damage constitutional bodies by levelling unsubstantiated allegations was not curbed. It added that the right of freedom of speech did not permit levelling unsubstantiated charges against the functionaries of the constitutional bodies.

“We, however, in the larger public interest, restrain” all political parties, non-governmental organizations and individuals “from criticising the use of EVMs in the recently conducted elections of the State Assemblies even by approaching the electronic media, press, radio, Facebook, Twitter etc. till the decision of the election petitions,” the court said.

The verdict, which ends the no-holds barred attack launched by the Aam Aadmi Party, also puts a question mark on Arvind Kejriwal’s plan to conduct a parallel hackathon on Saturday that taunted the election commission for its restrictive ground rules. Under these rules, AAP’s Saurabh Bharadwaj said, even its look-alike EVM could not be tampered.

High Court Mutes EVM (Vote Machine) Criticism... Not Even On Twitter Or Facebook

The court allowed the election commission to go ahead with the EVM Challenge that it was to hold on Saturday but frowned at the event nonetheless, observing that it “may influence the outcome of election petitions wittingly or unwittingly”.

Only two parties, the Nationalist Congress Party and the CPI-M had applied to participate in tomorrow’s EVM challenge conducted by the commission to put all concerns about the machine’s reliability at rest. Representatives of the two political parties can, however, only fiddle with the buttons, and not open the machines.

TRENDING

Gadgets: Live Updates From Apple’s WWDC 2017 Keynote Address at San Jose

Sports: CT2017: This Pakistan Team Lack Ability To Beat India, Feel Former Greats

Profit: IT Professionals Rush To Reskill As 85,000 Jobs Open Up In New Areas

submit to redditFlip

CBSE Class 10 Results Out Today, Twitter Just Can’t Keep Calm

NEW DELHI:  It’s that time of year! Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is all set to finally declare the class 10th board exam results today. Students who have been waiting anxiously for the results can now heave a sigh of relief. The delay in declaring the results of the class 10 board exams had been causing some anxiety for students and parents alike. On Facebook, Central Board of Secondary Education has been among the top trends all day. Meanwhile, on Twitter, tweeple are doing what they do best – make hilarious jokes.

Here’s a look at some of the funniest tweets about the CBSE Class 10 results:
CBSE Class 10 Results Out Today, Twitter Just Can't Keep Calm
There are plenty of jokes about nosy relatives and neighbours:

Watch: Daredevil Bikers Recklessly Jump Across Partially Collapsed Bridge

A video posted on Facebook shows at least two dirt bikers recklessly jump across what they claim is a 72-foot long gap in a partially collapsed bridge in North Carolina. According to local media reports, police are trying to identify the people seen in the viral video.

The video, posted to Facebook on May 30 by Colt Howell, shows two dirt bikers taking turns jumping the gap as a number of onlookers film them from various angles. The bikers are seen launching themselves across the gap via a temporary ramp.

It’s unclear whether Mr Howell, and Elijah Watson, also tagged in the video, are among the people featured in the video.

Watch: Daredevil Bikers Recklessly Jump Across Partially Collapsed Bridge
Since May 30, the video has been viewed over 282,000 times. It has collected over 2,000 reactions and been shared over 4,200 times.

“Those guys are lucky to be alive,” a North Carolina highway patrol trooper tells WBTV. “If they had miscalculated anything, they could have been hurt or killed.”

According to ABC 13, the bridge has been closed for the last seven months. Since the video of the dangerous stunt emerged, local administrators have bolted concrete barriers to the bridge.

If caught, the men could be charged with operating the bikes on a closed road which would most likely only carry a fine.

After London Attack, Facebook to ‘Aggressively Remove Terrorist Content’

Facebook said it wanted to make its social media platform a “hostile environment” for terrorists in a statement issued after attackers killed seven people in London and prompted Prime Minister Theresa May to demand action from Internet firms.

Three attackers rammed a hired van into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed others nearby on Saturday night in Britain’s third major militant attack in recent months.

After London Attack, Facebook to 'Aggressively Remove Terrorist Content'

May responded to the attack by calling for an overhaul of the strategy used to combat extremism, including a demand for greater international regulation of the Internet, saying big Internet companies were partly responsible for providing extreme ideology the space to develop.

Facebook on Sunday said it condemned the London attacks.

“We want Facebook to be a hostile environment for terrorists,” said Simon Milner, Director of Policy at Facebook in an emailed statement.

“Using a combination of technology and human review, we work aggressively to remove terrorist content from our platform as soon as we become aware of it – and if we become aware of an emergency involving imminent harm to someone’s safety, we notify law enforcement.”

May has previously put pressure on internet firms to take more responsibility for content posted on their services. Last month she pledged, if she wins an upcoming election, to create the power to make firms pay towards the cost of policing the Internet with an industry-wide levy.

Twitter also said it was working to tackle the spread of militant propaganda on its website.

“Terrorist content has no place on Twitter,” Nick Pickles, UK head of public policy at Twitter, said in a statement, adding that in the second half of 2016 it had suspended nearly 400,000 accounts.

“We continue to expand the use of technology as part of a systematic approach to removing this type of content.”

King Cobra vs Python: Snakes Battle It Out In Viral Video

A video posted to Facebook shows two large snakes locked in battle in Singapore. Sheldon Trollope posted the video, that he wrote was filmed by a neighbour, which shows a reticulated python and a king cobra fight it out. The tense battle took place on Singapore’s MacRitchie Nature Trail on May 30.

The video shows the cobra slither up behind the python and suddenly bite it before retreating into the bushes. Local media reports quote witnesses saying the python eventually died from the snake bite.

King Cobra vs Python: Snakes Battle It Out In Viral Video

Since being posted to Facebook on May 30, the video has been watched over 852,000 times. It has been shared over 4,700 times and has collected over 1,900 reactions

According to the Strait Times, while reticulated pythons are a fairly common sight in urban Singapore, sightings of king cobras – which are extremely venomous – are more infrequent. King cobras are known to feed on other snakes, even those as big as reticulated pythons.

Facebook Working on a Teen Messaging App Called ‘Talk’: Report

In a bid to protect vulnerable teenagers from online bullying and exploitation, Facebook is reportedly launching a new messaging app that will allow parents to monitor who their children are in contact with.

The app, called Talk, cannot be searched by general public but just by the teens who use it and will be closed to strangers who are looking to take advantage of teenagers on the Internet.

According to the website The Information, a software code was found in the main app that revealed signs of new parental controls that would set the app apart from Facebook’s Messenger app.

Facebook Working on a Teen Messaging App Called 'Talk': Report

The code said, “Talk is a messaging app where you fully control the contacts and your child uses the Talk app to chat with you in Messenger.”

The app is expected to be for those who are 13-years-old and above and will not require the user to have a Facebook profile.

Recently, The Australian newspaper reported that the social network can help advertisers target users as young as 14.

While the parental controls in the new messaging app may turn some teens off due to limitations on their freedom on the social media, the service may be helpful to parents who are worried about their inability to monitor to whom their kids talk to online.

For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Gadgets 360 on Twitter, Facebook, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.